Kidde Smoke Detector i4618 Review
- Product Reviewed: Kidde Smoke Detector i4618 hardwired smoke detector and alarm.
- Cost: From $12.30 per unit to $10.17 per unit depending on quantity ordered.
- Overall Rating: (5.0 of 5.0) Inexpensive, easy to install, high quality. Great replacement and upgrade!!
- Link to Amazon: Kidde i4618 Firex Hardwire Ionization Smoke Detector with Battery Backup
The Kidde i4618 is an AC/DC powered, ionization smoke alarm that operates on a 120V power source with 9V battery backup. This alarm uses ionization sensing technology. Ionization sensing alarms may detect invisible fire particles (associated with flaming fires) sooner than photoelectric alarms. Photoelectric sensing alarms may detect visible particles (associated with smoldering fires) sooner than ionization alarms.
- Provides a Hush™ feature to quickly silence nuisance alarms
- Tamper resist locking feature deters alarm theft
- Alarm memory flashes red LED indicating which unit was the initiating alarm in interconnected system.
- Battery backup provides protection in case of power failure
- Inter-connectable with up to 24 devices (of which 18 can be initiating) including smoke, CO and heat alarms. See user’s guide for complete instructions.
High Quality, Great Reviews. These smoke detectors were bought to replace BRK Smoke Detectors. When comparing them, the Kidde smoke detectors beat the BRK smoke detectors hands down. The Kidde smoke detectors are incredibly solid and are an excellent value at only $12 per unit. Kidde has far better reviews on Amazon.com and after working with these devices I am not surprised.
The Looks. Although I don’t spend much time looking up as I walk through the house I do notice the improved aesthetics of this smoke detector. They are very modern and clean looking and they maintain a low profile.
Installation. The installation could not have been easier. Since this model is hardwired, once I isolated the circuit to the smoke detectors and turned it off, replacing four took me only 45 minutes. They are very simple to wire and the mounting bracket is incredibly easy to install. Two screws and three wire nuts on each detector and you’re done.
Battery Door. It is very convenient to access top/front 9 volt battery door. What a simple and functional design. Well done Kidde!
The NET NET. I recommend these smoke detectors based on their low cost, excellent design and ease in installation.