Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat
- Product Reviewed: Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat, models T5900 and T5800. The models are identical but the T5900 includes humidity control.
- Cost: Prices range from $165.00 to 225.00 depending on model and features.
- Overall Rating: (4.0 of 5.0) Really nice thermostat, lots of features, a tad hard to navigate the menu.
- Link To Amazon (T5900 w/ Skyport): Venstar T5900 WIFI ColorTouch Color Thermostat With Humidity Control And Skyport
- Link To Amazon (T5800 w/o Skyport): Venstar T5800 ColorTouch Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat
- Link to Amazon (Skyport Wireless Module): Venstar ACC0454 Skyport Wi-Fi Key for ColorTouch Thermostats
ColorTouch™ is a multi-functional, simple-to-use, richly featured, programmable touch screen thermostat that thinks it’s a digital picture frame. ColorTouch has customizable backgrounds, including the users’ own photos, and more than a dozen preset themes, including holiday themes.
- Customizable appearance using users’ own photos
- Built-in nature and holiday themes
- ColorTouch Assistant software make configuring fast and easy
- SD Memory Card makes import/export between thermostats easy
- Engaging screensavers with slideshow, digital and analog clock options
- “Simple as You Want” operation lets user customize thermostat info
- Scheduler keeps home temperature comfortable
- At-a-Glance Screen lets users see temperature and heating/cooling status
- Automatically adjust screen backlight with nighttime dimmer
- Energy usage info at the user’s fingertips
- Security features for locking thermostat
- Customizable faceplates to match home décor
- Automatic daylight savings adjustments, multiple languages, alerts
- Humidification, dehumidification and reheat (T5900 only)
At First Glance. It has a very clean look and the design features allow you to complement surrounding decor. The touchscreen display is large and easy to read. The custom background feature is almost limitless since it allows you to display stock or custom photos. The display is capable of presenting deep rich colors so that custom photos are authentically represented.
Idle Screen. When idle, the thermostat displays an “at a glance” screen with day, date, time and current temperature. This software feature is practical and convenient.
Mobile Connectivity. This is an indispensable feature for vacations and other extended periods of time away from your home. You can check in anytime you want, view the temperature and adjust it as needed.
Navigation. The navigation is the only weakness I found in this thermostat. Finding certain features and options can be slightly difficult but it is not a show stopper.
Installation. It is simple to install and configure. Adding the wireless module and joining the thermostat to your wireless network as well as installing and configuring the mobile application to monitor and control the thermostats is straightforward and uncomplicated. Make sure to turn power off to all your HVAC gear before installation.
Energy Usage Data. This is an incredible feature to help you understand the amount of time your HVAC unit is in cooling or heating mode. I found this data to be very informative and helpful in monitoring energy usage.